Google search engine explained.
Beginning with WHAT IS A SEARCH ENGINE? Well, many of us know, but some may not.
Saying it technically a program that searches for and identifies items in a database that correspond to the keywords or characters specified by the user, used especially for finding particular sites on the World Wide Web. Our well-known search engine is GOOGLE. Now, let us see how does this search engine works.
All the information that is being fetched by google is done within a second or less than a second. Here, GOOGLE follows just THREE steps accordingly which are
CRAWLING and INDEXING
So, let us see these big process in 10 short steps.
1. The web is like an ever-growing library with billions of books with information. We use software known as web crawlers to discover publicly available web pages. GOOGLE uses a self-software called web crawlers to organize information from the web page and other publicly available in the search index.
2. . Crawlers look at web pages and follows the links to those pages, much like you would if you were browsing content on the web. They go from link to link and bring data about those web pages back to Google’s servers.
3. The crawling process begins with a list of web addresses from past crawls and site maps provided by website owners. As our crawlers visit these websites, they use links on those sites to discover other pages. The software pays special attention to new sites, changes to existing sites and dead links. Computer programs determine which sites to crawl, how often and how many pages to fetch from each site.
4. When crawlers find a web page, our systems render the content of the page, just as a browser does. We take note of key signals — from keywords to website freshness — and we keep track of it all in the Search index.
5. We want the answer, not billions of web pages, so Google ranking systems sort through the hundreds of billions of web pages in our Search index to give you useful and relevant results in a fraction of a second. These ranking systems are made up of a series of algorithms that analyze what it is you are looking for and what information to return to you. And as we’ve evolved Search to make it more useful, we’ve refined our algorithms to assess your searches and the results in finer detail to make our services work better for you.
6.Analysing your words, in this process, the engine just analyses the words that we type word by word. Matching your search, the engine goes to the browser and compares the words with its searched data.
7. Ranking useful pages, after matching with the data, now it ranks the preferred web pages in a rank full manner for the user to choose the best information. Considering index, while arriving the information it gives extra data like map location, Chennai images etc..(eg). We search cricket Chennai, it returns with the happening league in the city, best Academy with its best photos and its location.
8. Before they serve you the results, we evaluate how all the relevant information fits together: is there only one topic among the search results, or many? Are there too many pages focusing on one narrow interpretation? We strive to provide a diverse set of information in formats that are most helpful for your type of search. And as the web evolves, we evolve our ranking systems to deliver better results for more queries.
9. Now, the useful information will be served to the users within a second. It process nearly billions of information and gives the best information among them.
10. Nearly, 1000s of engineers are working on these algorithms to improve the speed and to deliver more data in a very short time comparing with its old time.
So, these are the 10 most important steps that are been followed to search a small bit of information through a search engine.